Saturday, March 15, 2014

9 weeks and My 30th Birthday

(So I have no idea what happened to my original 9 week post.  I wrote a really long post but apparently when it published, it reverted back to my draft which only had one paragraph! I will try and summarize what I had written originally.)

We are now 9 weeks along.  The weeks seem to be going by very quickly so far.  This week was fairly uneventful.  I did have a couple bouts of pretty severe nausea where I thought I was going to get sick but was able to ward it off with ginger ale and crackers.  I feel like the fatigue has lessened slightly, except for yesterday.  This week has been really busy for me and by yesterday afternoon, I was so exhausted I literally didn't know if I could stay awake to drive home. I got home around 5, ate dinner, took a shower, and was in bed by 8 and asleep by 8:30.  That is very rare for me.  Usually, and especially since being pregnant, it has been taking a couple hours for me to fall asleep, no matter how tired I am.  I get in bed and my mind just keeps reeling thinking about all the things I need to do to get ready for a baby....crazy right?  I still have 7 more months! But in my head, I am already making to do lists It's not getting the nursery ready that I am stressing about....it is all the stuff leading up to that...clean out the garage to make more storage room, clean out the closets, organize everything, donate to Goodwill, paint both bedrooms, etc, etc, etc.  I try to tell myself it is nuts to already be stressing about this kind of stuff.  I know its going to get done and it is just going to take time.  I wish I could snap my fingers and these things would be done.

Wednesday was kinda a big day...my 30th birthday!  I am married to an amazing, sweet man who put a lot of thought into my day and planned a few surprises for me.  I woke up to a note and some beautiful flowers telling me that I needed to be ready to be picked up for lunch at noon.  He said he had a few special things planned for the afternoon and then we had dinner plans as well.  I was picked up at noon by one of my dearest, best, and oldest friends Kim who had taken the day off work to spend with me. Kim and her husband Mike are some of our closest friends who we see often, but its been ages since Kim and I have gotten to spend time just the two of us so this was really special to me.  We went to lunch at Cheesecake Factory where I probably gained 5 lbs and took home a piece of Godiva Chocolate cheesecake that took me 4 days to eat.  Then, we went to a local spa where Harrison had made appointments for both of us for a massage.  I happened to mention that I was pregnant when we got there and were signing in and apparently, this was a problem. Spas can not legally do a massage in the first trimester, which I had no idea.  They offered to let us reschedule for when I was in my second trimester (beginning of April) and gave us complimentary mini facials for the inconvenience which was nice of them.  Since we ended up having some free time that afternoon, Kim and I got to do some shopping instead and talked a lot about baby products.  Kim is already a mommy to a 2 year old, who is very special to me, so she gave me a lot of tips about baby gear and what I need (or don't need).

For dinner we went to a really nice Italian restaurant called Naples and when we walked in, I saw about 10 of our closest friends waiting for me.  It meant so much to me that all of these people took time out of their week to come celebrate with me.  I am so very blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends.  My 30th really was one of the best birthdays I've ever had. I am so excited about what God has in store for us this year.  I know my 30s are going to be a wonderful new chapter in my life!

This week in development of little baby Slatery, baby is about an inch long, about the size of a grape. Baby is looking more and more like a human every day.  Essential body parts are accounted for, and the "tail" is gone.  The heart is dividing into four chambers and valves are starting to form.  Eyes are fully formed, it has tiny earlobes, and mouth and nose are more distinct.  The placenta is developed enough now that it is starting to take over the job of producing hormones...great news for me because this means I can start weaning on the Progesterone shots!  I definitely will not be sad to see these go!

Till next week...

1 comment:

  1. Happy happy birthday! What a wonderful year this will be!

    I do the same thing at night. Just can't shut my brain off. And I've been getting up to pee a couple times a night and then having trouble falling back asleep. 9 weeks already! Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete